Seed Technician - Cranbrook, BC
Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role are to:
We are seeking a Seed Technician at our Parent Seed Production Site in Cranbrook, BC.
As a Seed Technician, you will be involved in all facets of canola parent seed production. Unlike a traditional manufacturing role, you will experience a variety of responsibilities throughout the growing season. In this position, you will work closely with other team members to identify ways to improve our processes. We are looking for employees who are passionate about maintaining the highest standards in the industry for safety, stewardship compliance, seed quality, cost, and supply reliability. This is an opportunity to work in an environment where your ideas are heard and you are encouraged to grow personally and professionally.
Assist the Operations Supervisor in the production of pedigreed canola parent seed in a timely and efficient manner, while meeting all quality standards. This includes with assisting with the following activities:
- Farm equipment operation: spring tillage and soil preparation, crop planting, cultivation, irrigation, pesticide application, scouting, roguing, B line removal, swathing and harvest.
- Modification, design and fabrication of specialized equipment for pedigreed canola hybrid parent seed field production, incl. welding.
- Repair and maintenance of all farm equipment and infrastructure.
- Research, coordinate & establish new production technologies and tools for field operations.
- Adhere to all Bayer safety initiatives. Assist in the development and implementation of farm safety and stewardship procedures.
- Field data collection and crop agronomic assessments.
- Ensure that QMS/CSGA procedures and standards, Bayer Quality Policy, and stewardship procedures are followed. Assist in revision of procedures.
- Provide support to field production of other seed crops (i.e. soybean, wheat, vegetable seeds, PFDN canola seed) and other projects as needed.
Who are you
Your success will be driven by your demonstrations of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possess the following:
- Agricultural degree or diploma preferred.
- Minimum of 3-year agricultural experience or other relevant industry experience, including engineering/mechanical.
- Strong agronomy background. Good crop diagnostic and crop management decision-making skills.
- BC commercial drivers license or ability to obtain one (min class 5 with endorsement 20). Experience with hauling trailers and loading and unloading equipment.
- BC Agricultural Pesticide Applicators license or ability to obtain one.
- This position requires excellent mechanical skills and the ability to operate, maintain, design and fabricate a wide range of specialized farm equipment. Welding experience an asset.
- Computer skills for current ag-related applications for office and equipment (i.e. RTK, GPS). Data management.
- Excellent decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility and ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and work demands.
- This position will be required to work long hours during the peak field production season.
- This position will require frequent travel between field locations in the Kootenay Valley.
- This position will require the ability to work and reside in Cranbrook, BC, Canada.
Bayer welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Candidates participating in our selection process requiring accommodation due to a disability or medical need are encouraged to notify the Bayer representative that they will be meeting with to ensure appropriate arrangements can be made.