Field Testing Agronomist - Yorkton, SK
Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Field Testing Agronomist, are to:
A Field Testing Agronomist is a field-based regional role responsible for maintaining a region R&D Field Trials are conducted. The role is responsible for coordinating the negotiation and contracting for leased land space, acquiring local manpower for in-season activities, and for conducting in-season research activities such as phenotyping, study management, and data analytics review as part of overseeing trial execution that feeds the R&D pipeline. Additionally, the role will work with other remote Field Testing Agronomist and/or sites on functional initiatives to improve data quality, standard operating procedures, or quality/compliance actions.
- Ensure safe and efficient operation of the research program with respect to budgetary guidelines and expectations. Support the site HSE program as it applies to North American Field Testing and Operations
- Selection, preparation and maintenance of multiple field testing sites. Requires safe driving including frequent trailer use hauling loads in excess of 10,000 lbs; pre-trip inspections and use of log books
- Plays a vital role is trial preparation including seed processing, packaging, shipping, protocol review, trial placement and mapping/field design
- Maintain field trial sites as weed, insect and disease free; Confident ability in identifying key weeds, insect and disease problems is critical, as is timely and accurate implementation of control measures
- With the use of handheld electronic equipment and Monsanto proprietary software, collect notes on various agronomic traits (e.g. emergence uniformity, flowering date, lodging, height, maturity, shattering resistance) in a timely manner throughout the growing season
- Harvest plots and collect samples for quality and statistical analysis; ensure harvest data is evaluated and relinquished in accordance with crop advancement deadlines to aid in product advancement decisions
- Develop, maintain and implement the use of controlled SOP documents, QMS procedures and investigative protocols
- Comply with all Monsanto regulatory compliance guidelines for Confined Release and Stewarded Trial material
- Regular interaction with other Field Testing Agronomists, Agronomic Research Specialists, Site Leads, and Principal Investigators is expected in order to facilitate efficient trial planning and placement, sharing of ideas and techniques and quick response to issues that may arise (e.g. weather or pests affecting trials)
- Work closely with Plant Breeders, Principal Investigators and Agronomic Research Specialists to fully understand the multiple stages of crop development and the importance of each step involved and share experiences cross-functionally as needed.
Who are you
Your success will be driven by your demonstrations of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possess the following:
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent of a Bachelor's Degree in Agriculture or related field or Agricultural Diploma with 4+ years agricultural research experience
- Minimum of 2+ years agricultural field research experience preferred
- Recent Graduate will be considered with appropriate education and experience of 2 field research seasons (during school).
- Farm background an asset
- Broad knowledge of crop production and farming practices, corn, soybean, wheat, canola agronomy, plant breeding and precision agriculture applications
- Operation and maintenance of agricultural research equipment experience
- Effective team leadership qualities including excellent organizational and motivational skills, accurate record keeping and attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of basic statistical analysis and experimental design principles
- Computer skills related to data acquisition and analysis, proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, and precision agriculture technology
- Appropriate driver’s license for medium vehicle operation (>10,000 lbs GCWR)
- Ability to obtain First Aid certification and pesticide application license
- Ability to work long hours and manage seasonal OT of full and part-time staff in accordance with applicable regulations
Bayer welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Candidates participating in our selection process requiring accommodation due to a disability or medical need are encouraged to notify the Bayer representative that they will be meeting with to ensure appropriate arrangements can be made.