Canola Seed Technician
Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Canola Seed Technician - Lethbridge, AB, are to:
Bayer is currently seeking several seed technicians to join the Canola production team at our Lethbridge location. As a Seed Technician you will be responsible for assisting the site personnel in all facets of Canola seed production. In this role you will assist site personnel in the accomplishment of assigned Functional Jobs which may include;
- Crop Production: Monitor and assist agronomists on seed field management activities such as planting, field mapping, scouting, field maintenance, isolation observations, roguing, and harvesting to maximize yield and quality.
- Harvest: Monitor and assist harvest activities such as seed sampling, on farm handling and storage, seed volume estimates, and sample processing receiving.
- Conditioning: Seed sizing, cleaning and treatment application including operation of various types of plant equipment such as sizing equipment, gravity tables, spiral separators, seed treatment applicators, packaging equipment, dust collectors, and forklifts (lift truck).
- Packaging: Packaging, labeling and tagging seed for grower use and certified seed production.
- Warehousing: Organization, moving and placing seed into storage, maintaining inventory accuracy and utilizing electronic inventory systems.
- Distribution: Stage seed for shipment to other warehouses and customers, receive seed from other warehouses.
- Maintenance: Responsible for preventative maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment in assigned area including repair, construction, installation, troubleshooting, preventive maintenance; maintaining all equipment both in the field and in the plant. Assist in the coordination of scheduling for service/maintenance work on company facilities and equipment in both the field and in the plant. Provide a thorough inspection of all facilities/equipment being serviced in an attempt to be proactive to reduce major repair expense and ensuring reliable operations. Maintain an active inventory of parts, supplies and tools to complete needed repairs. Maintain accurate records for all equipment and facility maintenance performed.
- Receiving / Sampling: Interplant movement, rework, warehousing, and inventory management of bagged and bulk seed.
- Safety: Actively participates in and provides leadership to Monsanto ESH Safety Program.
Additional duties could include
- Supervision of an entire process, such as roguing, which would include supervision of staff, scheduling of work, equipment maintenance, and problem solving.
- Maintains compliance with ISO procedures, fills out reports, records and documents as directed, including computer data entry.
- Maintain working relationships with growers, vendors, and seed field inspectors.
- Occasional travel may be required upon request to assist other sites in peak periods or to work at a satellite growing area.
- Shift work and weekend work seasonally as required.
Who are you
Your success will be driven by your demonstrations of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possess the following:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Basic working knowledge of Internet, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, or facilities with systems
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to lift a minimum of 60 lbs. (a bag of seed)
- Agricultural Diploma, College degree or trade school degree preferred, Certified Crop Advisor desired
- Intermediate computer skills with experience using of SAP and PLC
- 3+ years manufacturing experience, with experience in chemical or row crop manufacturing
- Previous experience working in a manufacturing environment with a 24/7 rotating shift schedule, including overtime as needed
- Ability to read, write, speak Spanish either as a first or second language
Bayer welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Candidates participating in our selection process requiring accommodation due to a disability or medical need are encouraged to notify the Bayer representative that they will be meeting with to ensure appropriate arrangements can be made.