Canola Parent Seed Technician - Cranbrook, BC
Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Canola Parent Seed Technician – Cranbrook, BC, are to:
Adhere to all Bayer HSE safety initiatives. Ensure that documentation for safety activities and accident/incidents reporting is adhered to in accordance with company policy. Promote a “zero accident tolerance” standard of safety.
Assist the Operations Supervisor in the production of pedigreed canola seed in a timely and efficient manner, while meeting all quality standards. This includes with assisting with the following activities:
- Farm equipment operation: spring tillage and soil preparation, crop planting, cultivation, irrigation, pesticide application, scouting, roguing, B line removal, swathing and harvest.
- Modification, design and fabrication of specialized equipment for pedigreed canola hybrid parent seed field production, incl. welding.
- Repair and maintenance of all farm equipment and infrastructure.
- Research, coordinate & establish new production technologies for field operations.
- Assist with monitoring previous year’s seed production fields and controlling volunteer canola plants as directed
- Assist in the development and implementation of farm safety and stewardship procedures.
- Ensure timely entries for field data collection and production records.
- Ensure that QMS/CSGA procedures and standards, Bayer Quality Policy, and stewardship procedures are followed. Assist in revision of procedures
- Provide support to field production of other seed crops (i.e. soybean, wheat, vegetable seeds, PFDN canola seed) and other projects as needed.
Scope of the Job
- This position is in regular and frequent contact with the canola Cranbrook Site Lead and other Cranbrook staff. Good communication and coordination between site employees are critical as resources are shared.
- This position will have contact with growers in the area.
- This position will be required to work long hours during the field production season, which may include weekends and holidays.
- This position will require frequent travel between field locations in the North Kootenay and Cranbrook areas
- This position will require the ability to work and reside in Cranbrook, BC, Canada.
Who are you
Your success will be driven by your demonstrations of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possess the following:
Core Business/Functional Skills and Education
This position must have:
- A minimum of a BC class 3 commercial drivers license (or class 5 with endorsement 20 – trailer >4600kg). Experience with hauling trailers and loading and unloading equipment.
- This position requires excellent mechanical skills and the ability to operate, maintain, design and fabricate a wide range of specialized farm equipment.
- Decision making and problem solving skills.
- Flexibility and ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and work demands.
- Minimum of 2-year agricultural experience or other relevant industry experience, including engineering/mechanical.
- Minimum of 1 year canola parent seed production experience.
- Minimum of a diploma or vocational training.
Company operating Name: Bayer CropScience (Canada) Inc.
Business address: 710 Industrial Rd # 3, Cranbrook, BC V1C6N4
Terms of employment: Term Position - 12 Months
Language of work : English
Hourly Wage Rate: CAD $23.98/hour
Benefits: CEIP bonus program, 3 weeks of vacation entitlement or 6%, Bayer benefit program
Contact information: 2920 Matheson Blvd. East, Mississauga, ON L4W 5R6, Canada
Bayer welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Candidates participating in our selection process requiring accommodation due to a disability or medical need are encouraged to notify the Bayer representative that they will be meeting with to ensure appropriate arrangements can be made.
Functional Area: [sap_fa_1]
Entry Level: 3